Wednesday, January 28, 2009

It is a crazy life but I love it

To say that I actually knew what I was getting into when I approached my husband about the idea of breeding would be funny. I thought it would be this nice wonderful easy thing to do. My husband and I both work a regular 40 hour week job and we do this on the side. I make it sound so easy but it is not. Yes we do this on the side but "on the side" equals to more hours than the 40 hour a week job that we hold down. Today was one of the few days that I actually wondered why I am doing this and if I was actually crazy in doing it. I had a rough day at work that flowed in to a rough day coming home. At that point of time, all I wanted to do was to climb into the bed and cover my head and say good night. As I drove up the driveway I realized that for a once in a blue moon event, I got home before Ben.

I at this time set in the car and did not want to go in. I knew as soon as I hit the door that it would start. I was wrong, I did not even get to the door, they could here the car, it gave me away. The howling and barking started. I came in and said hello to the ladies, Peanut and Brindy. They hang out in the house during the day. They are the only ones allowed to room free. I then went into the nursery area to let the dogs out, one by one they got out and we all went to the back door to go potty. Of course with little ones, sometimes we get distracted and then we have an accident of course that happened. This time it was Tbone. He decided that we need to play a little game of chase before going out side. I won and he eventually went outside. The whole time I looked at this as a job. I then went in and say the babies. Tootsie's little black n tan girl looked at me raised her ears and cocked her head and barked at me. It was like she said it is ok. As long as you can bark, life will be ok. I picked her up and let her give me sugars. As I checked over the puppies to make sure everyone was ok, they all proceeded to let me know that it was ok. Each one giving me that lick on my check. By the time I was done with the 8th baby it came back to me. I do not do this as a job, I do not do this to make money, I do this because I love the breed. I love the puppies.

At that moment, I promised myself that when it got to the point that it was a job, chore to take care of the puppies, and this feeling lasted more than a couple of minutes, it was time for me to hang the collar up and to not do this anymore. To me dachshunds are the most loving breed there are and I am glad that I am the lucky one to come home to a house full of doxies.

No comments:

Post a Comment